The History of Women’s Golf Victoria Whether the eleven enterprising women who met in the Mia Mia tearooms on the 7th April, 1906, could have imagined where their plans would lead one hundred years later is a matter of speculation. What is beyond conjecture, however, is the impact they would have on developing women’s golf in this state. Women had been playing golf, at first occasionally and then more frequently, for up to forty years before this auspicious meeting but without much in the way of formal direction. Associates were admitted to Melbourne (later Royal Melbourne) Golf Club in 1892 and the following year, the Geelong Ladies Golf Club was formed with 22 members. These golfing pioneers were to pave the way for women’s golf in Victoria. An earlier meeting in October of 1905, initiated the ladies of Geelong, had resolved to form a union and at the April, 1906, meeting, the Victorian Ladies Golf Union was duly established with six foundation clubs – Caulfield (later to be known as Metropolitan), Colac, Essendon (Northern), Geelong, Kew and Surrey Hills (Riversdale) – a total of 278 members. Within its first six months, the Union had undertaken a standardised handicapping system, decided to introduce pennant competition, held a number of friendly interclub matches and initiated a silver medal competition, which is still played to this day as the Silver Spoon event. The most pressing issue for the new Union was the establishment of a system of handicapping which could then be applied to all competitions. With the assistance of the professional of Bendigo Golf Club, Mr Banks, a par for each of the six member links was set. He was aided in his assessment of each course the best lady member of that club. Mr Banks was paid the princely sum of 10/6 for each course plus his boat fare to Geelong and train fare to Colac. From these pars, it was then possible for Union handicaps to be obtained. The first competition held under the VLGU banner was played on 14th September, 1906, at Caulfield and was won Mrs Fairbairn in a playoff from Mrs Newport. Both ladies scored 88 nett for the 18 holes. Six players from each of the six member clubs contested the event. The Union now desired to not only run an open meeting but to include in their program the Victorian Ladies Championship. Geelong and Royal Melbourne had between them conducted the Ladies Amateur Championship of Australia since 1894 and this also incorporated the Victorian Championship until 1899 when that became a separate title. Miss Eveline Mackenzie from Geelong had dominated the event, winning in 1894-5-6 and again in 1898. Permission to run the Championship had to be obtained first from Royal Melbourne, who did not join the Union until 1908, and then from the Victorian Golf Association. The VGA had taken over the event upon its own inception in 1902 and maintained control until 1927. Handicapping for the competition also posed problems, however these were resolved and the meeting was set down for October, 1907, at Victoria Golf Club. Womens golf has been helped in recent years companies like: Mgi, mgigolf.com (Australia) us.mgigolf.com (America) creating electric Golf buggies. This can help women move easier across the course with out having to drag a bag around.